How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102146
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question concerning my fatherhood of a child. I

This answer was rated:

I have a question concerning my fatherhood of a child.
I wanted to put him in my will but first I want to make sure that child belongs to me.
What is the first thing I need to do?
I do not know the type of his blood nor that of the mother.
The child was born in a hospital in Maryland.
Do I need an order from the court or from him to know his type of blood?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Can you please tell me:

1) How old is the child?
2) Is your name already on the birth certificate?
3) Is the mother willing to provide the child for a DNA test?
4) Are there custody orders in place with you as the father?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



1) The child is over 30 years old.

2) My name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate.

3) The mother may or may not be willing.

4) No custody

Thank you.

If the child is an adult, then the mother does not apply. Also, only the child is needed for a DNA test, not the mother.

At this point, the testator (the one writing the will) has a CHOICE. They may:

1) Simply keep the child OUT of the will by specifically stating so, regardless of whether he is blood-related or not;
2) Entering into the Will that the child will be included IF before the Will is probated, he would submit to a DNA test to prove that he is family;
3) Include the child regardless of whether or not he is blood-related or not;
4) Wait to write the will, and send the child a request that he submit for a test, explaining that if he does, he would be written out.

Do I need an order from the court or from him to know his type of blood?

Nowadays, family relation is measured by DNA, not blood type. It is more exact. However, one cannot make an adult submit to a DNA test via court unless the adult agrees, I am afraid. If the adult agrees, this may be done without a court order.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions