How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116710
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Concerning Arizona family law, if I can get the mother of my

This answer was rated:

Concerning Arizona family law, if I can get the mother of my daughter to agree to a cash settlement for child support and she cashes a check with "payment in full, child support settlement 2013-2031", would that be legally binding or could a judge still order additional support and the state come after me because she is receiving government benefits?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that in addition to a memo on a check, you would need to have a written notarized contractual agreement with the mother which would then have to be filed in the court where the child support award was ordered. The courts deal with child support differently than anything else and they would have to review the agreement to make sure it is conscionable for the best interests of the child before they would approve waiving the support for the future.

Also, if she is receiving government benefit, the court/government could continue to pursue you for payment of your share of those benefits, regardless of the memo on the check. However, if the agreement is accepted by the court, then you would be free and clear.

Thus, you can agree in AZ to pay lump sum for all support, but it has to be approved by the court before it would be valid and binding.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, there has been no court order yet, and we were never married and do not live together. I will be retaining a local attorney and going to court soon, and I was just wondering if I could get her to cash such a check beforehand if it would be binding or not. I could maybe get her to sign a notarized agreement before the legal proceedings, but I'm not sure. So I'm taking it as a no, a cashed check with a settlement memo would not be binding and a judge could override any settlement?

Thank you for your response.

If she agrees to a lump sum payment for child support, this would still have to be approved by the court. You could get the agreement signed, but you still have to go to court for that approval. You are correct, the memo on the check would be a "no" as far as a court approving that.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you