How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102171
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently divorced, but would like to amend my divorce

This answer was rated:

I am currently divorced, but would like to amend my divorce decree. My ex-spouse and I have agreed on the amendments that we want to make, but are unsure about how to amend the current divorce decree?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

What county was the divorce in, please, and how long ago was the divorce SIGNED by the Judge?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was in Douglas county and the divorce was signed by the judge in 2004.

Okay, thank you, C.

I am going to type out a long-ish answer, so apologies in advance for the momentary wait while I do...

Also, while I am typing out, can you tell me if either one (or both) of the parties still live(s) in Douglas County?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, we both still live in Douglas County.

Great, Colette.

So what you have here is a a want to modify the divorce decree. And this is done by filing a a STIPULATION. You can find it here. One can search the page for "stipulation" and see that there are several forms. Depending on what one is modifying, a different form may be used (Motion/Stipulation to Modify Petition (Marriage), Stipulation Regarding Child Support Modification, etc).

The key here is that the pleading is JOINT by both parties. That means that both sign off on the pleading. In addition, one party would be the Petitioner and one the Respondent. The Respondent fills out and signs a Waiver of Service (here) that is filed WITH the original pleading to modify.

This is then filed with the Court(s) at:

Douglas County Combined Courthouse
Attention: XXXXXSte. 2009
Castle Rock CO 80109

Once this is done, intake shall forward your matter to the Court that originally handled it. Find it here.

A few days after filing, one should contact the court and asked if it was received. If so, then now the court takes over. The Judge can simply sign the stipulation if everything is in order. OR, the Judge can order an oral hearing, and let both parties know by mail, at which time any nuances would be clarified before the Judge signs off on it.

Once the stipulation is signed off on, it acts as an addendum to the decree and modifies what you requested.


1) read the INSTRUCTIONS for filing whatever stipulation form it is that will be picked out, for more specific instructions;
2) depending on the form, the WAIVER OF SERVICE may or may not be needed (but some included it anyhow for an abundance of caution).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So we are modifying our child support portion of our divorce decree, exactly which form number would I use from the list you provided?


Thank you for your follow up.

This would be the Stipulation Regarding Child Support Modification, Form 1404.

Also see Instructions to File a Motion or Stipulation to Modify Child Support, Form JDF 1399.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you mail it to the court with the address you gave, or does it need to be hand delivered?


It may be mailed to the Court, but may be hand delivered as well. It is your decision and makes no difference.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your gratuity.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ely,


I have a follow up question regarding our previous conversation.


Hello! Sure. What can I do for you?