How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118059
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Who completes attending physician form if multiple doctors?

This answer was rated:

This question is for a lawyer familiar with disability insurance law: Do disability companies want attending physician's statements from all physician's involved, or just one physician? In a hospital, I think only one physician is really the "attending physician," although the attending physician might consult with specialists. I do not know though if a disability company would expect an orthopedist to be the attending physician even if he was not involved in treating the problem initially. I have a private, individual regular occupation policy with a residual disability clause. My PCP, an internist, has been following me for months, for a combination of problems, one of which included my shoulder. She is the only doctor whom would know the history of all the various medical problems and she also was the first informed. She completed disability forms. However, the original period of disability began a long time ago prior to my having any problem with my shoulder. The shoulder problem was expected to resolve, but as it has taken a while I was referred to an orthopedist. The orthopedist will not know the history of how this overlapped with another problem, but he is very willing to complete forms as well, even though the PCP did provide an attending physician's statement. The policy covers overlapping and concurrent disabilities. The orthopedist referred me to PT which will start next week. The main question: Since my PCP, an internist, completed the attending physician's statement for a shoulder injury, is it necessary for the orthopedist to complete an attending physician's statement? I am wondering if disability company woul require it to be an orthopedist, but he did not treat me for many months when I had the problem. Are there potential pitfalls if both complete a statement, or if the orthopedist does not? I will be signing a release so that the disability company can get all medical records from all people involved in treating me. The disability company told me once they receive all information they will determine if this is a separate claim or if the previous claim should be reopened.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

When a person has multiple disabilities causing their need for the insurance payments, for each disability the doctor with the specialty in that disability is the preferred party to fill out and submit the insurance reports. Specialty treating physicians carry more weight with the insurer than a doctor who does not specialize in the disability the patient has.

If you have a shoulder issue that the orthopedist is treating, then the orthopedist should be filing forms regarding only the shoulder matter, even if your internist is writing reports including your shoulder injury, because the specialist has more experience.

This is important when the insurance company is denying a claim, but if the insurance company is not denying the claim, the one treating physician's report about everything is fine.

However, if your shoulder injury is going to keep you out or restrict you beyond your surgical problem, THEN you need to switch over to the specialist to submit a report to justify the new injury as the specialist in that type of injury.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you