ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My daughter became pregnant with a young man in Dallas TX when

My daughter became pregnant with a young man in Dallas TX when he found out he pressured her to have an abortion. When she refused he began threatening her to the point that she moved out of state and had the child in Florida. After some time my daughter moved back to Dallas thinking that he had some interest in helping with the child which now she realizes is not going to happen. He has paid no support no medical bills and has not contributed to the child in any way. He is not listed on the birth certificate and the child is now 15 months old. We want nothing from this guy but we also do not want him to cause problems in the future. Is there some way we can stop him from claiming some parental right in the future. We have since found out that he has another child with his divorced wife and another girl pregnant.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

I'm sorry to hear about her situation. Your daughter could have him sign a "waiver of interest in child" in exchange for her not pursuing child support from him. The form is here: http://www.lanwt.org/txaccess/forms/faaf.pdf

ScottyMacEsq :

Essentially what it is is an affidavit that she can use in a paternity action or a termination of parental rights action against him. Basically he's signing away any rights that he would have to the child.

ScottyMacEsq :

Your daughter should note that child support for 1 child is about 20% of the father's income, so she could use that as leverage to get him to sign this waiver.

ScottyMacEsq :

Once he signs this waiver (getting it witnessed by two disinterested witnesses and notarized) she should certainly keep the original in a very safe place, as well as making copies of it and giving copies to trusted friends / family.

ScottyMacEsq :

If he were to bring a case in the future, she could use that as a defense against him and prevent him from getting any rights to the child.

ScottyMacEsq :

She could also file a parental rights termination action, using this affidavit as support for that, but that really would require an attorney to assist in, since that would be more complicated than just having the affidavit filled out and kept by your daughter.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

ScottyMacEsq :

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating...

ScottyMacEsq :

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

ScottyMacEsq :

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq :

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Customer:

Sorry I didnt exit properly you were great thats exactly what we were looking for!