How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34753
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I see that in SC the age of consent is 16. My question is that

This answer was rated:

I see that in SC the age of consent is 16. My question is that once a girl reaches 16 is there any other legal restrictions on her having sex with an adult. Specifically a 17 year old girl with a 22 year old. Is this completely legal or is there anything else that I should be aware of before proceeding?

Thank you for your help.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Great question. I agree, in SC the age for consent for sexual relations is 16

But at 16 they are still a child. So they are bound by the rules of the home they live having sex, as a 22 year old, with a 17 year old would not be statutory rape...but it COULD be that there is a violation of another law. For example, SC has law of Contributing to delinquency of a minor

Here is the law
It shall be unlawful for any person over eighteen years of age to knowingly and wilfully encourage, aid or cause or to do any act which shall cause or influence a minor:
(1) To violate any law or any municipal ordinance;

(2) To become and be incorrigible or ungovernable or habitually disobedient and beyond the control of his or her parent, guardian, custodian or other lawful authority;

(3) To become and be habitually truant;

(4) To without just cause and without the consent of his or her parent, guardian or other custodian, repeatedly desert his or her home or place of abode;

(5) To engage in any occupation which is in violation of law;

(6) To associate with immoral or vicious persons;

(7) To frequent any place the existence of which is in violation of law;

(8) To habitually use obscene or profane language;

(9) To beg or solicit alms in any public places under any pretense;

(10) To so deport himself or herself as to wilfully injure or endanger his or her morals or health or the morals or health of others.

Any person violating the provisions of this section shall upon conviction be fined not more than three thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than three years, or both, in the discretion of the court.

And this is a felony. So it is possible, for example, to have sex with the 17 year old, and if any of the above are implicated, for example, "To so deport himself or herself as to wilfully injure or endanger his or her morals or health or the morals or health of others." could be prosecuted.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: the age of consent is 16, but understand they are still a child and sex with them could lead to prosecution under the delinquency statute

Let me know if you have more questions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you you have been helpful so far.


Just to be clear, basically if i do not cause her or encourage her to do anything illegal or that she shouldn't be doing anyway then i am pretty well clear of doing anything illegal?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
First expert did well i just wish look a little deeper into the subject but would like to get my answers quickly.
SOrry for the delay. YES...if you do not contribute to her “delinquency” and she consents to sex? Then there is no crime.
P. Simmons and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you