How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102320
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i need to sue my dad for molesting me when i was a kid.

This answer was rated:

i need to sue my dad for molesting me when i was a kid.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. What exactly are you asking here:

1) How to find an attorney?
2) What the statute of limitations is?
3) How does a lawsuit like this work?
4) Can I do this without an attorney?

Or, something else?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to find an attorney. This all happened in CT. i'm 32 now. He was arrested when i was nine. I lied and said it never happened because my mother and sister would have to go to a shelter if i didn't because he controls the finances. He has admitted to my mother that it has happened, but lied to everyone else. I want to know what I can legally do. How does this work?

Thank you so much

Thank you, R.

Before I proceed, please note:

1) JustAnswer experts cannot represent customers as clients;
2) Nor can we refer you to specific attorneys because of ethical considerations.

However, I can explain what your options are and help you find an attorney for you using a third-party referral service, and tell you how to "vet" them to make sure that they are right for you.

I can also possibly provide some links to low cost / pro bono counsel in the state.

Is this acceptable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes thank you so much !


Okay. Apologies in advance for the momentary wait while I am typing out the answer...
How a Lawsuit Works
To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.

In Your Case
Here, this may include the following causes of action:

1) civil assault and battery;
2) false imprisonment;
3) intentional infliction of emotional distress; and
4) negligence per se.

Statute of Limitations
Actions can be initiated within two years of the date of the "reasonable discovery" of the "injury and its causal relationship to the act of sexual abuse." § 2A:61B-1. This means that one would have to file within 2 years of "reasonable discovery," which can include individuals that have "repressed" the memories until they re-surfaced, etc. This allows for a very subjective statute of limitations which may often be pushed through.

Finding an Attorney
May I recommend the NJ Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions