How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116706
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am writing regarding an auto repair dispute. I purchased

This answer was rated:

I am writing regarding an auto repair dispute. I purchased a used vehicle, 2007 Mistubuishi Endeavor on July 3, 2013. At the time of purchase I also purchased a warranty policy from the dealer through a company Preferred Warranties, Inc. which cost $1500.00. On august 28 I started experiencing jerking and hesitation when I made right hand turns. I called the warranty co and they told me they would open a claim, I could take it to my mechanic and to have the mechanic contact them before any repair would be done. On Friday August 30, the car began to severely hesitate during driving constantly. I took it directly to the mechanic. It was diagnosed as a transmission failure. On Friday September 6 the warranty co sent an inspector to look at the vehicle and submit a full report. Their findings were that there was a convertor seal that was rock hard and a groove worn into the convertor hub which appears to be the source of rapid fluid loss. Due to the fact it stemmed from a "seal" this will not be a covered item. The cost for a new transmission will be approx $2000.00. My mechanic continue to state that was not caused by anything I could have done and should be a covered item. What should I do considering I have only had the vehicle for less than 2 months when the problem occurred it was due to no fault of my own, and I am now without a vehicle!
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

A used car purchase under PA law, absent a warranty from the seller to the contrary, is considered to be "as is." In an as is sale, the courts hold that the buyer is to beware (caveat emptor) and that the buyer bears the risk of any hidden damages. If you purchased an additional warranty, then the written terms of that contract of warranty govern your claim. Thus, you need to prove that your damages fall within the coverage terms of the contract of warranty to hold the warranty company liable to pay.

If the cause of the damage is outside of the terms of the extended warranty, then legally in PA without any other written warranty from the seller, you have to prove that the seller knew of the defect when he sold you the car and knew the car was not fit for its intended purpose (implied warranty of merchantability) or that they knew of the defect and failed to disclose the defect at the time of the sale (implied warranty of good faith). Proving knowledge of the defect by the seller when they sold the vehicle can be difficult, but it is essential to invoke the implied warranties allowing claims against the seller.

If you cannot prove knowledge, then in an as is sale, I am sorry to say the PA courts and laws hold you as buyer are liable for the risk of any hidden defects not covered by a warranty.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions