How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandaughter lives in Texas and I live in RI she has been

This answer was rated:

My grandaughter lives in Texas and I live in RI she has been abandoned by her mother. I would like to get legal custody of her and seek child support from her father who also lives
in RI and has not paid any child support in 14 years. She is 15 where can I go for answers
Thnk you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, what specifically have you tried in the past? Do you have any sort of court order in place, or had any in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She lived with her step father who has raised her since she was 3 her mother who left her and her brothers 3 years ago convinced her to run away and live with her she was only there a few months when she told her not to come back and now she doesn't have a place to go. I am willing to take her in but I will need to have child support from both parents

Thank you for your follow-up, Madeline.

Where is the child now? Also, have you yourself ever had custody of the child? Do you have any sort of a bond or link to the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is my granddaughter thy moved to Texas 4 years ago when they lived in RI I saw her every weekend. I never needed to have custody of her before she is abondoned in Texas I need to know how to get her here legally


Thank you for your follow-up. If the child is currently in Texas, Texas would govern custodial and guardianship petitions. That means that you cannot file in your home state, you would need to reach out to the county courthouse in the county where the child resides, speak to the clerk, and obtain their forms and packet for guardianship. You would need to file in person, or get an attorney to file for you. In the guardianship forms you would need to press the point that this would be in the 'best interest' of the child and that since you have a strong bond with the child, she would have the ability to have her care and needs covered by you. Then, if you do obtain guardianship, you could petition for support. Just be aware that if you do seek guardianship, the other parent can contest and fight you in court over this petition.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions