Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My grandaughter lives in Texas and I live in RI she has been

abandoned by her mother. I...
My grandaughter lives in Texas and I live in RI she has been abandoned by her mother. I would like to get legal custody of her and seek child support from her father who also lives
in RI and has not paid any child support in 14 years. She is 15 where can I go for answers
9/6/2013
Thnk you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, what specifically have you tried in the past? Do you have any sort of court order in place, or had any in the past?

She lived with her step father who has raised her since she was 3 her mother who left her and her brothers 3 years ago convinced her to run away and live with her she was only there a few months when she told her not to come back and now she doesn't have a place to go. I am willing to take her in but I will need to have child support from both parents

Thank you for your follow-up, Madeline.

Where is the child now? Also, have you yourself ever had custody of the child? Do you have any sort of a bond or link to the child?

She is my granddaughter thy moved to Texas 4 years ago when they lived in RI I saw her every weekend. I never needed to have custody of her before she is abondoned in Texas I need to know how to get her here legally

Madeline,

Thank you for your follow-up. If the child is currently in Texas, Texas would govern custodial and guardianship petitions. That means that you cannot file in your home state, you would need to reach out to the county courthouse in the county where the child resides, speak to the clerk, and obtain their forms and packet for guardianship. You would need to file in person, or get an attorney to file for you. In the guardianship forms you would need to press the point that this would be in the 'best interest' of the child and that since you have a strong bond with the child, she would have the ability to have her care and needs covered by you. Then, if you do obtain guardianship, you could petition for support. Just be aware that if you do seek guardianship, the other parent can contest and fight you in court over this petition.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney