How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-wife had her name legally changed back to her maiden

This answer was rated:

My ex-wife had her name legally changed back to her maiden name at the same time as the divorce. However, I know she has not contacted the SS admin, Driver's License, etc to update them on her name change. She is currently running up debt under her old married name (my last name). Is there anything I can do to tell creditors, license bureau, the judge that presided over our divorce, or anyone that she has not changed her name and is possibly still using her former married name fraudulently?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

You can forward the copy of the divorce decree which has restored your wife's maiden name to any of your wife's known creditors, DMV or SS office, but it is likely that the most that will come out of it, is that she will be requested to change her name with SSA and DMV and also with the creditor to comply with the court order.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Can I inform the judge who granted our divorce that she has not informed the proper agencies?


Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the court can be made aware of the fact that one of the spouses did not comply with the court order, however generally the court will not get involved, unless the fact that your ex-wife is using her former married name is XXXXX XXXXX directly impacting you and is causing some type of damages to you.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you