How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116749
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can the state of Florida hold onto my child support money until

This answer was rated:

Can the state of Florida hold onto my child support money until they feel like sending just because it is being changed from the state disbursement center to the FLDOR?? They have had my 2nd check for August since Aug 27 and informed me today it will be weeks before it and anymore they receive can be sent to me. Someone has already been depositing the support checks into my bank account since June and now I have to wait for them to finish processing paperwork to get what is owed to me that they are holding onto? My daughters and I are about to starve and will be homeless within a week because they will not send my support check. Is there anything I can do??????
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

No they cannot just hold checks for no reason or because of the change over to DOR. I am afraid though that the only recourse here if you have already filed with child support for them to correct the problem, would be to file in court and you could seek to file an emergency motion or petition for payment of support in the local court and seek an emergency order to release the funds. I am afraid that other than trying to keep working with DOR to get them to release the money that court action would be your sole recourse.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.
Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Thank you very much for the answer. I kind of figured my only recourse would be a court order and that would probably take just as long to get my money...I guess I don't understand how they can hold onto money that does not belong to them while my children are going without. I can fully understand now why single mom's get so desperate and do stupid things when they are at the mercy of a state system that works against them and the children.

Thank you for your response. It is because they are overwhelmed with cases and they have no extra help and they really have no motivation to Work harder they suffer from apathy because it does not affect them. Very sad really the way they act like they are doing you a favor, but I am afraid court is the only way to shake them other than continuing to complain to get your money.