How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27639
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the noncustodial parent. I would like to know if I can

Customer Question

I am the noncustodial parent. I would like to know if I can get credit towards my child support if I am paying for things that I can not afford to pay for. For example, my child needs a root canal. After insurance the patients responsibility is $520. I am on unemployment and am barely making my rental payment and the custodial guardian refuses to pay for half of the costs. Also the child has been living with me for the past month because the custodial guardian is now homeless. So I am paying child support, I have to pay for a root canal, I had to purchase a bed for my child, give her money to get back and forth to college in another county, and also have to pay for transportation to another county where she just got a new job. Is their some relief that I can get? I live in NJ
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. How old is the child? Also, is the other parent consenting to the child living with you? Will this be permanent?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The child is 17 and high school graduate. The situation looks as if it will be long term
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Seeing how the child has graduated high school and is soon to be 18, you can certainly file a motion with the court, seeking to terminate the child support obligation. Moreover, if the child is residing with you and not the other parent at this time, you can file a motion in the alternative to modify and/or reduce your child support payments. You are legally obligated to pay the support as ordered by the court and anything in addition to and above that amount is at your sole discretion. It is unlikely that you will be able to obtain a credit but based upon the facts which you stated above, you can certainly try and have it reduced or even terminated, as a result of the child now living with you and the fact that she graduated from high school and is working, along with her soon to be 18th birthday.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 years ago.
Hi LaKeesha, I just wanted to follow up in regard to the bad service rating you gave me and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. This does have a negative effect on me so I am hoping you can share the basis of it, as I did answer your question, based upon the facts presented.