How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Amber E. Your Own Question
Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1482
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Amber E. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the first initial steps in making a ungovernable,

This answer was rated:

What are the first initial steps in making a ungovernable, out of control adolescent a ward of the state?
If all else fails, including Division of Child & Family Services, therapy, crisis intervention, etc, then the only other option available is to go to the juvenile court and file a petition to have the child declared ungovernable. This would make the child a ward of the state and eligible for foster care. Ordinarily, there is a hearing scheduled and the parent making such request is required to present evidence to the court of all actions taken to try and help the child and control the situation, and how those efforts have failed, and why state care is in the child's best interest.
Amber E. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can this petition process be executed by the parents themselves or is it usually filed by a hired a family lawyer?

Usually by family lawyer, a lawyer can be hired for full representation or for helping with the paperwork. Lawyers are a big help, because getting through the legal process, especially in juvenile court, can be pretty complex. But, there is nothing that says you have to hire a lawyer. The parents can represent themselves, forms are available in the legal section of the local legal, county, or university library. Sometimes even the court has forms.

Related Family Law Questions