How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi: I was divorced about two years ago, and receive apportion

This answer was rated:

Hi: I was divorced about two years ago, and receive apportion of my x-husbands pension.
He was recently placed in a nursing home and I understand that they want my portion of his pension. His finances are a mess. The homes we owned is now in the process of being
reprocessed and my name is XXXXX XXXXX the title.
At the divorce the judge pass a decree that I was not responsible for any of his debits.
Can the nursing Home come after my part of his pension.
They shouldn't be able to, if the pension plan was divided upon your divorce. If you have a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) granting you the portion of his pension, then you should forward that on to the nursing home, and or the Medicare/Medicaid authorities trying to take your portion of the pension.

You also might speak to the plan manager for his pension to see if you can receive the disbursement of that pension into your own account.

While a Judge can say that you are not responsible for any of his debts, you should still get your name off the title of the home, because even though there is a court order, creditors can still pursue you and a repossession can still go on your credit.
originallawyer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you