Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Hello,Long story short...............I was adopted in 1949

Hello, Long story short...............I was adopted...

Long story short...............I was adopted in 1949 at the age of 3 months.
Nebraska located my original birth certificate, the gal at the state had it in her hand while I was on the phone, but WOULD NOT TELL ME A THING!!!!

I'm devastated. What can I do to get a copy???
8/29/2013
Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney

Q. What can I do to get a copy???

I'm sorry you are having such difficulty with this, but you won't get any information over the phone. There is a form that has to be filed: Adopted persons must file with the Bureau of Vital Statistics a form called the "Request for Access to Birth Information." This form can be obtained directly from Vital Records department of DHH, Division of Children & Family Services. See link below for more information.

http://dhhs.ne.gov/children_family_services/Pages/adoption_searches.aspx

If the state refuses to release the record without a court order after they have been supplied the completed form, then the process would involve hiring a local attorney to file suit against the state the same as one would in order to initiate any other civil legal action to demand the disclosure and release of the original birth certificate.

I have included links below on the adoption law.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/browse-chapters.php?chapter=43

and

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=43-130

I already filed that form and got a letter back stating my birth mothers name was not exact as I stated on the form. My adopted mother gave me a small piece paper she got when I was adopted. She gave it to me when she died. That name was Elizabeth Theresa Nilles. The state would not tell me how the name was different. I then called them and she would not tell me a thing.

That's because they cannot reveal that information. Since you know your mother's name, it is only misspelled, then you may be able to find the correct spelling using the local census from 1940. You can contact your local library's genealogy department, and they can do a search of that census and any earlier census or public records documents her name will be on for you, then you can resubmit the form with the correct spelling. That should fix the problem and allow them to release the certificate.

I get frustated, guess. All I want to know is how she died. She has been dean for over 2 years and no one will help me on cause of death unless I can prove i have a relationship and that birth certificate is the only wayIi know. Is there another way?

I spent good money trying to get here death certificate, but then got stopped as I could not prove who I was.

UGH!!!!!!!

Because she only just died recently, I am afraid you would need proof of being next of kin, such as a birth certificate. However, there may be other ways of finding the information you seek or at least finding someone who is also next of kin who can apply.

You know how I suggested earlier that you contact the library's genealogy department for help getting the correct spelling of her name so that you can get the birth certificate? Well, that department can also help you search for her other next of kin who may be willing to help you by applying for the death certificate, as well as other publicly available information on people who might have that information and clues to her death.

My concern in contacting her family is that they may not know I exist. She was sent to a convent before I was born to keep it a secret. So if I suddenly show up, it would cause shame and sully her probably good name.

You don't have to contact the family, as I said before you can get the correct spelling and simply reapply. The information about contacting the family was just an alternative option for you. Ultimately, you will have to decide which option to take advantage of.
Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Amber E.
Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney