Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

How can I change my last name on my marriage certificate?

8/28/2013
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

So when you married, you kept your maiden name or what is the situation - you did not take your husband's name at all?

I hyphenated my maiden name and his name. Now I would like to drop my maiden name and take his completely.

Hello

Thank you

You need to file for a name change within the courts and then when that is granted you will take that Order to the Department of Vital Records and request to have it changed on you Marriage license and Certificate.

To file for the name change, you can go to the clerk of the court in the county where you now live and request the packet of documents for a Name Change. Fill those out and file them.

It will involve advertising the name change request in your local paper once a week for about 6 weeks - and then there will be a hearing and the court will grant the change, as long as no one appears to oppose it for any reason.
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law