How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I change my last name on my marriage certificate?

This answer was rated:

How can I change my last name on my marriage certificate?

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

So when you married, you kept your maiden name or what is the situation - you did not take your husband's name at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hyphenated my maiden name and his name. Now I would like to drop my maiden name and take his completely.


Thank you

You need to file for a name change within the courts and then when that is granted you will take that Order to the Department of Vital Records and request to have it changed on you Marriage license and Certificate.

To file for the name change, you can go to the clerk of the court in the county where you now live and request the packet of documents for a Name Change. Fill those out and file them.

It will involve advertising the name change request in your local paper once a week for about 6 weeks - and then there will be a hearing and the court will grant the change, as long as no one appears to oppose it for any reason.
Samuel II and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions