How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been trying to reach a separation agreement with my

This answer was rated:

I have been trying to reach a separation agreement with my spouse for over a year and because of her unreasonable requests and stalling tactics I've decided to just let the case go into litigation. My current lawyer tells me there is a court backlog of apx 6 months and our trial date probably will not be anytime before spring 2014. Are there any circumstances in which a court date can be expedited? I have spent thousands of dollars in legal fees and would really just like to move on with my life.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. On this website, I am afraid that I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

Unfortunately, there is no way to expedite a family matter for trial. One is free to set temporary orders (which may be heard a lot faster, a few weeks at the most), but if the Court has a heavy docket and is back-logged, there is no expedition ability. In fact, jumping one case over another may be unethical for the Judge to do, as well.

In summary, temporary orders are fairly quickly and are an option. However, trial cannot be expatiated.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you