How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118807
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Similarly the house that my wife grew up in in NY, and the

This answer was rated:

Similarly the house that my wife grew up in in NY, and the house I grew up in in MA., are now owned by the siblings: 4 on her side in NY, and 7 on my side in MA. Neither of these are residences we live in. If at some time in the future either or both these house[s] go up for sale and are sold, does my wife get 1/2 of my 7th of the house in Mass. and Do I get 1/2 of her 4th of the house in NY. This would probably happen well after the divorce.
Thank you for your new question.

Any sale after the divorce you would likely not be entitled to a share of unless the court awards you a certain amount of that in the marital property settlement. The ownership of both houses and the entitlement to interests would be something that has to be addressed in the marital property settlement agreement as part of the divorce. If not addressed and sold later then the proceeds become separate property of each spouse. This is part of what I was saying about this being a hotly litigated matter and courts examining all details. This has to be addressed in any marital property settlement.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you