How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is no custody order in place yet. What if we resolve

This answer was rated:

There is no custody order in place yet. What if we resolve to enter a settlement in which he agrees to no overnights in bargain to something else financial ie less alimony etc.? Could this be enforced by the Court if we agree?

Thank you for your question and thank you kindly for allowing me to assist you again.

That can be enforced. Just lease be advised of a very important caveat--a property settlement agreement or alimony is generally binding and final once granted. It is not able to be modified later unless there was fraud or misrepresentation during the settlement agreement. A custodial order, however, can be modified as it is independent and is based on what the courts see as being in the best interest of the child. Your negotiation cannot have clauses or conditions where he would agree to not challenge custodial orders as such language would not be valid or binding.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you