How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband of 31 years told his Dad (92!) and me that he doesnt

This answer was rated:

My husband of 31 years told his Dad (92!) and me that he doesn't remember signing divorce papers from his first marriage that lasted a week. His dad is now very concerned if we are legally married?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Yikes, that may be a problem. Have you potentially contacted the courthouse where the divorce was filed for and possibly granted? I ask because under US law a person cannot marry someone else if they are still married. That happens to be against the law, and is known as 'bigamy'. In that case any future marriages are completely void and to have the marriage be valid, your husband would need to refile and obtain a divorce, and then you would be required to have a new ceremony and a new marriage certificate. Hopefully it will not come to that at all, but you do need to pull the proceeds of that courthouse to see if the divorce was granted. You really do need to file for divorce and remarry if there is no formal divorce--as I stated, your current marriage would be deemed void outright and not be valid.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you