How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116796
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have joint legal custody of my 4 1/2 year old daughter.

This answer was rated:


I have joint legal custody of my 4 1/2 year old daughter. She lives part time for now in Oregon with her Mom and part time with me in Laguna Beach CA. Her Mother said she is putting her into a pre-school that is 5 days all day. I have asked for details for a couple months now and last night she said it was a Jewish school. With joint legal custody do I have a say in this?

Thank you,

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

With Joint Legal Custody, BOTH parents have the opportunity and the right to participate in major decisions of the child. When there is a dispute between the two, the parent with the primary physical custody has the right to make the final decision. If you disagree with the decision, then you have the right to go to court and file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt of court and the court will intervene and make the decision.

The fact this is a Jewish school, it gives you more grounds to fight in court if your child is not Jewish or there is some religious issue with having the child in such a school.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you