How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How soon after a child cusody agreement is filed can it be

This answer was rated:

How soon after a child cusody agreement is filed can it be modified?

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. You asked how long after a child custody agreement is "filed" can it be modified. May I assume that you meant to ask how soon after it is made an order of the court?

Brandon M. :

Hi, I see that you just joined the chat. Welcome.

Customer: Yes
Brandon M. :

Thank you for that clarification. Under ordinary conditions, a child custody order can be modified any time there is a material change in circumstances. So, for example, if a custody order was made at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, and at 5:15 p.m. on Wednesday the child's father was arrested and charged with running a meth lab out of his kitchen, nothing would prevent the mother from filing for a modification first thing on Thursday morning because circumstances materially changed.

Brandon M. :

Generally speaking, the courts don't like to see a modification requested until a minimum of at least six months have passed, but every situation is different.

Customer: Thank you.
Brandon M. :

If circumstances warrant a modification, there is technically no limit on how soon either parent could refile for modification. There's just a danger of earning the court's disfavor if you do it too soon.

Brandon M. :

Certainly. Did you have any other question?

Brandon M. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you