How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Joseph, I need an attorney to file a motion for clarification

This answer was rated:

Joseph, I need an attorney to file a motion for clarification in reference to retirement benefits awarded to my ex-wife. How much will this cost me ? I am very dissatisfied with the attorney that handled my divorce. The divorce decree says $75,000.00 The QDRO has a calculation formula using $75,000.00 as the denominator X amount of my contributions plus employer matching funds and interest. This wording is not in the divorce decree ! the Final entry was May 29, 2013. The judge awarded her $75,000.00. The QDRO was filed by her attorney. The retirement system, Texas County and District Retirement system, uses a fraction formula and calculated that her total benefits with interest and matching funds would be $240,000.00. $1,600.00 monthly for life. On May 29, at final entry my attorney asked the Judge to Clarifiy her order which was recorded by the court reporter. The judge agreed, $75,000.00 no more no less. But I recieved a letter from the TCDRS, that the ex-benefits are $240,000.00. Can you help me get this error corrected ?
I have let Joseph know that your question is waiting for you. He will see this when he next checks his email.
My apologies, but the policies of this site do not permit us to represent customers of the site or to provide direct referrals. Meaning, I cannot personally "get this error corrected". I can, however, provide some valuable resources in locating the right attorney for your situation. Would that be satisfactory? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes! This would be great !


Thanks !

First, you should begin with your state bar association. The Texas State Bar has a website, it is located at

Your county bar association has a similar site that will be more specific to your location. Their site is here,


Additionally, Martindale Hubbell is a national organization that rates attorneys across the country. Their website is located at


Another nationwide website is located at This site lists attorneys by
geographic location and area of practice.


Each of these resources will have a wealth of information as to attorneys in your area that handle such cases. I would suggest you check each site out and you will surely find a great number of attorneys that meet your needs. Pick a few to meet with in person so that you can thoroughly explain your situation and then retain the one that you feel can best represent your interests.


As to costs, that can be difficult to predict as fees vary widely from area to area and even attorney to attorney. Mostly as a suggestion, I would state that somewhere between $1,500 and $3,500 would be a reasonable expectation.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience: I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Joseph and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you