How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9366
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I live in California, but want to get married in Hawaii,

This answer was rated:

If I live in California, but want to get married in Hawaii, is there any pros/cons about where the marriage certiciate is that I should be aware of? or does it only matter where you actually live?

A marriage performed in Hawaii will be recognized as valid in California. Hawaii will automatically send you a marriage certificate after the marriage is registered, see
but California will not, see

Please tell me if you need more information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. But I was more interested to understand the reprecussions of one state vs another state with regards XXXXX XXXXX rights. For example, in the case of a divorce, if California has stricter laws, does it matter where the marriage was performed? Or is that not relevant? Does the question make sense?
It does not matter where the marriage was perfomed. The spouses' property rights depend on their State of residence.
N Cal Attorney and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes for a happy honeymoon!

Related Family Law Questions