Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can I be sued or can any financial harm come to me by the husband

Can I be sued or can any financial harm come to me by the husband of a married woman I had an affair with? I am a single man. We all live in west michigan
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

The answer is no. What you are talking about is a suit called alienation of affection. Alienation of affection is a suit filed against a third-party that breaks up the marriage due to the affair. See here.

However, the majority of states have outlawed alienation of affection suits, including Michigan. Only NC and Mississippi allow such a suit today.

As such, there is nothing the husband can really do here to you.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any type of action that can be brought against me that you know of?

None whatsoever. The alienation of affection was essentially the only one.

To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.

Since alienation of affection is outlawed in Michigan, no other cause of action really fits here.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.