How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a parent who is in college and lives in student housing

This answer was rated:

Can a parent who is in college and lives in student housing have full custody and let the child live with another family member while he finishes college?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A parent who has sole legal custody can allow the child to stay elsewhere. However, if the other parent were to seek custody, it would likely be granted, because the courts typically prefer to have the child with a parent rather than another relative. The non-custodial parent could also ask that any child support payments be paid to the person that is actually caring for and supporting the child, rather than to the other parent.

It also depends on the language of the custody order. It may require notification when the child's address changes, and some custody orders provide that the non-custodial parent get first refusal before the child is placed with any sort of babysitter or other relative. It's not common, but it's a good idea to be aware of the specific language in the custody order before giving the child to someone else.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you