How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been fighting to have any form of communication with my

This answer was rated:

I've been fighting to have any form of communication with my daughter as I can. Because I have been struggling with drug addiction the court hasn't even allowed me to communicate with her over the phone, never mind supervised visits. I'm current on all child support, I am a responsible young adult I love my daughter to death but I just have trouble with drug use. I don't feel that's enough to completely cut all communication when my daughter needs me in her life. How can the judge do this? Is there any law that protects me and will compel the court to issue an order allowing at least phone conversations? My daughter is 8 years old.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What the judge is interested in is what is in the best interests of your daughter. That is what the law requires him to consider. Legally, it is not considered in the best interests of a child to be around someone with drug abuse problems. That unfortunately means that the best thing you can do for your daughter is to get clean and stay clean. As more time passes, the longer you are drug-free, the more likely the judge is to allow you to have time with her. That may include telephone calls, supervised visitation, and eventually unsupervised visits. But it's unfortunately a long process, and there is no law I can tell you that will make it happen faster. The judge has to look out for the child, and allowing visits after a forced or rushed recovery may not be what's best for her.

I know that it's difficult to be patient, but that's really the only option available. The only thing that solves this particular situation is more time between your last drug use and when you're asking to see her. Also make sure that, before going back to court, you have medical records, treatment record and any other documentation you can get to show that you're drug-free. That will help. You should be able to request a modification about another 6 months.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. I really am sorry, and I hope that you do well in recovery so that you can see your daughter as soon as possible.
Lucy, Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you