How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wifes ex husband didnt pay the correct child support is

This answer was rated:

my wifes ex husband didn't pay the correct child support is there anything we can do to make him pay what he actually owes
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Can you please provide me with more details about the situation and how did your wife's ex-husband failed to pay correct child support?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he told ors (office of recovery services)in Utah he was earning $1500 per month when we just learnt he is earning $9200 pm,we live in Washington state and we didn't question what ors as it is state run by Utah was making him pay..but we spoke to a lawyer in Utah and they said because the ors case is closed we have no recourse..

Thank you for your follow up.

Do the child(ren) still receive any type of child support from the ex-husband?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we have four children from my wifes marriage to her ex..3 are over 18 and the 4th now lives with him and she is no..we don't get anything from him..we now have to pay him for the 4th child

Thank you for your follow up.

I am very sorry to tell you this, but unfortunately the attorney that you consulted in Utah is absolutely correct.

Since there is no current child support obligation that is due from your wife's ex-husband, your wife will not be able to go back and ask for the court to recalculate the amount of child support based on the fact that the ex-husband's income was higher at the time, simply because the law does not permit that type of retroactive adjustments and the issue would had to be addressed at the time the child support was established or while it was still due.

Unfortunately, you would also not have any legal recourse against the ex-husband, because he does not have any legal obligation toward you and you were not legally obligated to support any stepchildren that you did not legally adopt, so any contributions that you made toward the household expenses were on the voluntary basis and would not be legally recoverable from your wife's ex-husband.

I am very sorry to provide you with this unwelcome news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide each customer with correct information and I have no way of changing the law.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you