Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

do I have to also take the children of the stepparent if I

want to see my granddaughter...
do I have to also take the children of the stepparent if I want to see my granddaughter? her stepmother claims it is unfare to the other kids that I take my granddaughter and do things with her
8/15/2013
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. Has anything been ordered by the court or is the step-parent allowing you to see the child?

I usually just ask to see her for the weekend. her real mother was killed and she lives with her father. his wife has 4 other kids but only has custody of 1. I do not feel I should have to take her kids with me I want to spend time with my granddaughter. I have an appointment to visit with a lawyer next but wanting an idea of what I may be told

Cassy, thank you for the additional information. You have no obligation to take and spend time with her kids. They do not belong to you nor are related to you and you should not have to spend time with them, pay for them or be reasonable for them, if you do not want to. Unless it is court ordered that you take her kids as well ( which I highly doubt will happen as a condition to visitation) then you do not have to comply. Until you obtain a court order allowing visitation, you may have to try and work something out with her in the mean time, so she does not prevent you from seeing her on the weekend. Your desire to spend time only with your granddaughter and not her kids is completely reasonable and you should not have to take them. She is likely trying to use you as a free baby sitter.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

I am worried that she will prevent me from seeing molly just to visit even. I hate making waves but since my daughter was killed I bonded strongly with my only grandchild because she is the only one I will ever have since my daughter was an only child

I am sorry for your loss and I understand how tragic this can be. Proceeding through the court and having visitation ordered by the Judge will prevent her from stopping you from seeing Molly. The reason being, if the Judge allows it and she fails to comply, then she can be held in contempt of court.
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer