How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

visitation right for adopted baby

This answer was rated:

my girl friend got pregnant and she told me that the baby had down syndrome we had decided to abort but she stoped seeing me and was only calling once or twice a month she decide to give for adoption she told me the she found her god parents on the adoption registry and that they were adopting him since the adoption they moved to Colorado burned there house down lost the father daughter only the mother and gaberial are left found this out through face book donated about 400 each to pay for hospital bills and a return ticket to Maryland when she told me about the adoption I was under the impression that we would have visitation rights but she told me that in order to speed up the pregnancy she told the doctors that she was raped and gaberial was born at 6 months I waould like to have visitation right what can I do I belive he was born in april 2012 she told me that the reason that she said that she was raped wasto hurry the pregnancy along she was taking medication and smoking crack causing down syndrome all I want to know is if I can get visitation rights beleaving that she was getting an abortion instead she tells me that she gave him up for adoption and that it was final


Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

You did not sign anything terminating your parental rights?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no I didn't sign any thing

wasn't even offered

I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me, Bruce.

What you would typically want to do is file a motion in the adoption case seeking to set aside the adoption since you did not agree to terminate your parental rights. You can also seek custody of the child if you can show that the baby is your biological child.

Once you have done that, the adoptive parents may be willing to voluntarily agree to visitation rights in order to settle the case and avoid having the adoption overturned.

It appears your former girlfriend committed a fraud by stating she was raped, which denied you your right to be informed of the adoption, but you would still typically have the right to seek to set aside the adoption since you were not properly notified of the adoption proceedings and therefore had no opportunity to oppose it.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Tina and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you