How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102143
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to sue for conversion, the defendant is in Broward County

This answer was rated:

I need to sue for conversion, the defendant is in Broward County Florida. I live in a different state the amount this person stole from me is over 10k, I have very limited income a small savings that it gets me as far as paying the retainer fee a lawyer is asking. I can not afford to spend that much money. Do you know where can I find a pro-bono attorney in Broward County or weather a pro-bono attorney will take a civil case like this or what is required for a lawyer to work on contingency? I do not know weather the defendant has assets I need to recover my hard earned money. Please advise. Thanks
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation. While I cannot guarantee results, I can provide some pro bono links, and explain how contingency works should you get a non pro bono attorney. Would this be acceptable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, thank you that is what I need.


Now, understand how this works, first of all. To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.

Conversion in Florida is defined as " a wrongful deprivation of property to the owner, and neither manucaption nor asportation is an essential element thereof." Senfeld v. Bank of Nova Scotia Trust Co., 450 So. 2d 1157 - Fla: Dist. Court of Appeals, 3rd Dist. 1984 (internal citations omitted).

Some attorneys work on contingency. An attorney may take this on a contingency basis, meaning they do not get paid unless you do. Usual set up is their take is 33% settlement, 40% win at trial, 45% at appeal; plus some office costs. Everything is negotiable.

I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...

…and another list:

Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions