How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30337
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Looking at divorce options. Children live with me in a different

This answer was rated:

Looking at divorce options. Children live with me in a different state than spouse. What type of child-support amounts can I expect? What is fair?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the divorce is filed in MA, the judge will apply the child support guidelines, which are based on your combined incomes, the number of children, and other factors. This worksheet can help you figure out what a judge would order you to pay.

If the two of you intend to file in the other state, I can look at the child support guidelines in that state for you. Most states have residency requirements, so you may not be able to file in the state where you're currently living, if you moved there recently.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have lived in ma for 14 months. Before th


at we loved in ct together. Where would we file?

If there is property to be divided in Connecticut, or you're requesting spousal support and your spouse never lived in MA, you would usually file in Connecticut. You can also look at the Connecticut child support guidelines and see if that helps you make a decision.
Lucy, Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you