How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just moved to Pennsylvania about a month ago and need to

This answer was rated:

I just moved to Pennsylvania about a month ago and need to get a divorce from my spouse who deserted me 13 years ago, is there a way to get this done.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If your husband currently lives in Maryland, you can file the case there - either by going back to the original attorney, hiring a new attorney, or filing the documents yourself. The case would be filed in the county where your husband lives. Your prior lawyer may choose whether or not to continue with the case.

To file for divorce in Pennsylvania, a person must have lived in the Commonwealth for at least six months. So, if you would like to file in PA, you unfortunately would have to wait. If there is Maryland property to be divided, or if you are seeking any type of support from your husband, a PA judge may not have jurisdiction to enter those orders.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions