Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

in california what is the statute of limitations on paying

in california what is the statute of limitations on paying alimony

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is no statute of limitations on collecting alimony. The statute of limitations refers to how much time a person has to file suit to get a court order. When the judge enters a divorce decree, that IS a court order. It remains enforceable, and any violation of the order is on-going. So, if there were a statute of limitations, it would reset every time the person missed a payment.

To simplify matters, the CA Legislature passed Fam. Code, Section 291, which specifically states that an alimony order is enforceable until paid in full and does not expire or need to be renewed.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is the statute of limitations that refers to how much time a person has to file suit to get a court order this is what I need to know

There isn't one. Any time that a person is married, they can file for divorce and ask for alimony. After the divorce is final, the order can be collected forever.

If you're referring to asking for alimony after a marriage has ended, unfortunately, that's not possible. A request for spousal support is waived if not brought during the divorce. It cannot be brought as a separate case.