How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been divorced in the state of Maine for three years

This answer was rated:

I have been divorced in the state of Maine for three years and my ex-wife has had a live in boyfriend for over 2 years. We were married for 17 years and she was awarded spousal support for 8 years. She is obviously in a long term relationship with her boyfriend, is her living relationship reasons to look to reduce or terminate spousal support?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

In Lyon v. Lyon, the Maine Supreme Court held that cohabitation alone is not enough to terminate or modify spousal support. What the law says is that support may be modified where there is a substantial change in financial circumstances. If her income has increased significantly, or her expenses have significantly decreased (which is possible if he is paying for half of everything), you may be able to use the cohabitation to show a change in her financial circumstances, which can be used to reduce the support you are paying her.

Also, look at your divorce decree. Maine does allow a decree to include a clause stating that support cannot be modified. If your decree says than, then you have to be able to show something beyond just the change in financial circumstances - you have to show that justice requires the modification. That's a higher standard.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you