How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how much notice am i suppose to get when my ex hands me a motion

This answer was rated:

how much notice am i suppose to get when my ex hands me a motion to change custody papers? i was given less than 3 days notice to appear in court.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

All motions must conform to the time requirements of K.S.A. 60 206 unless the Presiding Judge approves an expedited hearing. K.S.A. 60 206 requires 5 days notice.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, what do i need to do to show that i was not given the 5 day notice? he literally handed me the papers friday night at 6:30pm and its for this Monday at 9:30 am

If you are not represented by counsel, typically the procedure would be to go to the hearing in order to avoid a default. At the hearing you can ask the judge for a continuance. Tell the judge that you were served on Friday night and had not had the opportunity to retain counsel

Hello Jackie,

Have I completely answered your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what can i do or what papers should i have to prove to judge that i am the best fit for my kids? i want split custody i just want to choose the schooling.

I would be happy to answer your additional questions however the site requires that you leave a positive rating and then open a new question page for your new question. Since you are a subscriber, there is not an additional fee
Ellen and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you