How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28370
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ex wife is relocating with my child who is 3. currently we

This answer was rated:

Ex wife is relocating with my child who is 3. currently we reside in Montana Ex relocating to Ohio. only willing to give me 4 months a year can I get 6 months until child is school age? grandparents, uncles, and other family reside in Mt
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. Is there currently a custody order / visitation in place? Are you consenting to the relocation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

currently the parenting plan is extremely flexible we have been doing week on week off with the child. This started in the summer although the ex wife hasn't adhered to my time she is usually 3 days late in dropping him off. :) :)

Thank you for the additional information. If there is a parenting plan in place, the mother can not just take away your legal rights, as ordered by the court. Moreover, she would need to comply with the code provided below, or could be in violation of the plan. You have every legal right to object to the relocation and oppose what she is proposing about 4 months out of the year. If you can not agree, she would need to proceed through the court and have it ordered by the Judge. The Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the child, so the relocation would be weighted against the potential loss of any father/child relationship. Moreover, if she fails to currently comply with the plan in place, she could be held in contempt for violating it.

40-4-217. Notice of intent to move. (1) A parent who intends to change residence shall, unless precluded under 40-4-234, provide written notice to the other parent.
(2) If a parent's change in residence will significantly affect the child's contact with the other parent, notice must be served personally or given by certified mail not less than 30 days before the proposed change in residence and must include a proposed revised residential schedule. Proof of service must be filed with the court that adopted the parenting plan. Failure of the parent who receives notice to respond to the written notice or to seek amendment of the residential schedule pursuant to 40-4-219 within the 30-day period constitutes acceptance of the proposed revised residential schedule.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you