How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118765
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

GEneral magistrate ruled that I have to make alimony payments

This answer was rated:

GEneral magistrate ruled that I have to make alimony payments via the state disbursement unit/payroll deduction. She seems to favor that approach. Can I appeal that decision?

All of our documents are filed other than a residency requirement and a parenting cert from the petitioner. I declined to waive my 10 day and 5 day waiting period to preserve my options vs an expedited order.

I've had to struggle very hard to make these payments each month in large part because petitioner has failed to make her payments as called for in the MSA for child care. What are my options to have the requirement to use the disbursement unit for alimony changed?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

While you can appeal the amount of the alimony, the judge has discretion of allowing you to write checks or ordering garnishment directly from wages and in order to overturn that part of the judgment you would have to prove it was an abuse of her discretion. To prove an abuse of discretion in FL is no easy task as you have to prove that no reasonable trier of fact with the same evidence and circumstances could have reasonably made the decision to have the payments directly deducted from your pay.

If the judge is looking at you struggling to make payments as grounds to impose the payroll deduction, then it is going to be hard to prove no other reasonable trier of fact could not come to the same conclusion.

The petitioner's compliance with the MSA is separate from the alimony issue and each time she fails to make such payment you need to file a motion for contempt and eventually the court will order either automatic deductions from her or will sanction her and fine her and ultimately they can even jail her for contempt for not complying with the MSA.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you