How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 18 and have left home I have applied for financial aid

This answer was rated:

I am 18 and have left home I have applied for financial aid to go to college. My Grandparents adopted my brother and I because my Mother has drug additions and could not care for us. I want to get help for college without my adopted parent help as the need to care for my little brother who is 6. I quite school and was told at that time I was no my own. I have a GED and have past a placement test for a community college. I want to show them I can do this on my own! As we have had problems in the past . My question is how or what do I need to do so they are not responsible for Me.

Thank y0u, Rosanna Owen
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

My question is how or what do I need to do so they are not responsible for Me.

What do you mean, exactly? Are you asking if you can claim yourself independent on your FAFSA? Or, is this something else? What are you attempting to achieve here?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I was told at the school by an advisor if I make my self independent

I will be qualify for financial aid!

Thank you, R.

Now this is very important:

1) At what age were you adopted by your grandparents?
2) At what age - and if any - were you ever in custody(for any time) of CPS (also known as DFPS), i.e. Child Protective Services after your mother let go of your custody but before your grandmother adopted you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have lived with my Grandparents since I was 2 they kept me from having to to CPS. so I have never been in CPS. my adoption was at 41/2. My Grandmother was hoping my birth mother would get of drugs which she has been unable to do.

Thank you.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times.

Please understand that FAFSA follows a different, and sometimes not entirely reasonable set of laws when determining when someone is dependent, or not. See here.

Unless one of the factors apply to you, you are not seen as independent for FAFSA's purposes. As such, your grandparents (lawfully your legal guardians) qualify as parents and thus, you are seen as dependent. I am sorry.

Ergo, even if they are not "responsible" for you, for purposes of FAFSA, you are a dependent.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can I go to court to be released from their care?


At 18, you are an adult and do not have to go to Court to get released. You are already fully emancipated. You can leave if you want.

However, FAFSA rules do not look at this - they look at the factors in the link to determine if you are "dependent" or "independent" regardless of anything else.