Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

IF MY EXWIFE SELLS THE HOUSE AND GETS A JOB. CAN I TAKE HER BACK TO COURT TO LOWER MY ALIM

IF MY EXWIFE SELLS THE HOUSE AND GETS A JOB. CAN I TAKE HER BACK TO COURT TO LOWER MY ALIMONY PAYMENTS SINCE THIS INCREASES HER INCOME?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Can you please tell me what state this is in?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

CALIFORNIA

Thank you, Mark.

The answer is yes, you can.

You can modify alimony. Ca Fam §§ 3603 et seq.

What you would have to show is that there has been a "substantial evidence of a material change of circumstances" and she now makes more money and no longer needs your support. Marriage of Lautsbaugh (1999) 72 Cal.App.4th 1131, 1133-1134, 85 Cal.Rptr.2d 688, 690.

Then, the Judge has discretion whether to lower the amount or terminate it all together, based on her actual need and how much she is making at her job.

An attorney is recommended to file the pleading. Let me know if you need referral to low cost/pro bono leads in CA.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Thank you for your gratuity.