How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102343
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning, I have a friend who has money tied up in an

This answer was rated:

Good morning,
I have a friend who has money tied up in an estate his mother left him when she died. He has been trying to get those funds freed up since early July and is claiming the bank is telling him it is due to IRS delays. Can you please let me know if this could be the case? Thank you, Ann
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your friend's situation. Can you please tell me:

1) Is there any type of "trust" involved or is this simply a bank account?
2) Has anyone filed probate on the estate?
3) I am guessing this name is not on the account, correct?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Good morning. It is some sort of trust, not just a bank account.

I do not know if this is a probate situation.

The name on the account ( I figure) should be John Henry Mcleod


Thx Much


Without knowing what kind of a trust it is, and who the trustee and the beneficiary is, and whether or not probate has been found, at the most I can do is take a GUESS.

Is there any way you can find out this information and get back to me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ely, All I know is that the benficiary would be XXXXXX. The money is from a trust account created by his mother, don't have her name. The bank it is supposed to settle in is BB&T.


Any help you can give will be deeply appreciated. This is my boyfriend and I am sadly beginning to develop trust issues in that I just cant believe it could take this long..Thx,Ann


Okay. Can you tell me more about how the IRS may be involved, or he has been hazy on this, too? In other words, why has the IRS supposedly not allowed withdrawal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is saying that the IRS has a hold on releasing it due to the amount that is to be taxed. He is saying that the IRS release department has not finished processing the paperwork to release the funds, but this has been going on the close to 3 weeks and he supposedly has an attorney working on it.

Thank you.

The IRS can freeze a trust account if the IRS is investigating possible tax fraud and/or underpayment. So this is a distinct possibility. However, the IRS normally attempts to settle the matter without having to resort to freezing money. So if this is true, then he has not been working with the IRS in the past and the IRS has their hand "forced," so to speak.

So yes, it could be the case, from what you are telling me. And yes, it is normal to have an attorney involved, although until/unless the matter is resolved, the IRS is not likely to lift the freeze.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your gratuity.