How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 39043
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married and divorced and lived in Texas after my divorce

This answer was rated:

I was married and divorced and lived in Texas after my divorce but now live in Delaware with my 3 children, My question who will be 19 will be going off to collage this month and I was wondering if my ex husband responsible for support obligations now that he is going off to collage or can I make him pay some of my sons collage financial cost, any info you could supply would be greatly appreciated. also when we divorced we agreed that my ex keep his gun collection and I keep the house, we signed papers on all of this and a texas judge approved it all, now after 3 months he said he changed his mind and and said he signed under distress and now has a lawyer and wants to take half of the proceeds from me selling my house in Texas, can he do this and if so what are his chances of winning ?

Re college child support, The law of the jurisdiction in which the first child support order in a case is made, controls whether or not a parent is obligated to pay college/adult child support. Texas law does not provide for college child support, therefore, absent the other parent's consent to pay such support as part of your marital settlement agreement, you cannot legally force him to pay.

Re changing the settlement agreement after final judgment, based upon a claim that your ex signed the agreement under coercion or undue influence, the chances of relief from judgment is nil. No way, no how. Not gonna happen.

The reason is simple: If courts routinely permitted such relief, everyone would come back to court looking for "another bite at the apple," whenever they didn't like the outcome at some future date -- and no one's divorce would ever be final.

So, don't worry about this, because it's a hollow threat.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you