How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident of the state of CA. I filed for divorce in

This answer was rated:

I am a resident of the state of CA. I filed for divorce in Dec. 11, it became final in Dec. '12. We officially separated in Jan. '12, and as of 2/1/12 I had moved out and begun supporting myself fully. My ex has asked me to pay child support expenses and expenses for me dating back to Jan. '12. Am I obligated to pay these expenses if the divorce had not yet become final? Thank you.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, if you were not paying child support between Jan '12 and Dec '12, then requesting that you cover those costs is reasonable. Even if no order was put in place yet, providing maintenance and care for the child is a legitimate demand. But if no spousal support, alimony, or alimony pendente lite was put in place, any expenses to the spouse are NOT reasonable as they are not court ordered. Those expenses you are not obligated to pay or covered.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you