How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Had 4 grandchildren for almost 4 years fought in court she

Customer Question

Had 4 grandchildren for almost 4 years fought in court she won them back and now ex stepmother has possession of them I have not been able to see them or call she has not kept me informed of her location or way of contact:,I have visitation rights as well as the father when we have them as far as I know she has not kept the courts informed as well what rights do I have I had heard she had another Cps case opened as a missing persons report
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you know whether the step-mother has obtained a court order of custody of the children? If so, was it in the same court which granted you grandparent's visitation? In which state were the orders entered?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

First she is a ex stepmother I don't know if she has yet but she said she was file for everything she could as well as getting Jessica to sign over her rights the court house is in Wichita county Wichita falls :

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

I see. Thank you for clarifying that, Cynthia.

Normally, you can file a motion for contempt against the custodial parent or guardian if they do not abide by the terms of the court's order. However, if the person who has possession of the children has not yet obtained an order of custody, then that would normally not be appropriate against them, but you could seek guardianship of the children yourself through the court since she is not a court-ordered guardian at this point.

You would typically need to persuade the court that it would be in the children's best interests for you to take possession of the children rather than the ex-stepmother would not have any legal right to the children.

You should retain a local family law attorney to represent you in this matter though. If the CPS is involved in a complaint filed against the ex-stepmother, then the results of their investigation could aid you in gaining guardianship as well.

If you cannot afford an attorney, try contacting the local legal aid offices to see whether you qualify for low cost assistance through them. It sounds as though the children need some stability in their lives and since you have had a continuing relationship with them, you may be the best one to provide that for them.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Cynthia,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?
If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:
Thank you very much and all the best to you.