How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28371
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my Ex husband and I lived in Oklahoma when we divorced, my

This answer was rated:

my Ex husband and I lived in Oklahoma when we divorced, my EX got into some legal trouble and wanted to move home to Colorado for family support, I agreed to move there too so I could be closer to my family in Utah. I was not happy their and was treated horribly by his family so I moved to Utah and we drew up a paper that we both signed stating the kids would stay and finish school in Colorado and we would lieave it up to the kids where they want to live since they are 14 and 11. my Ex husband has since hired a Colorado attorney and I was served papers stating the kids would live there with him. We promised the kids it was their decision and they do not want to live with their Father. now he has blocked their phones so I cant even talk to my children. I know what he is doing is wrong and we have joint custody so I know what he is doing is not legal, he can not keep my children from me. I cant afford an attorney so Please tell me what my options are. Thank you Juli Rogers
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you were served papers, you certainly want to file a response/answer to them, to avoid having his request granted. It is important to remember that the Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the children, when deciding who to allow the children to live with. The Judge can also speak with the children and ask them if they would rather live with you or him. While you and him may have reduced the agreement to writing, that the children would decide, the Judge is likely going to step in and decide at this point. If you have joint custody, he can not take away your legal right to the child and if he is not allowing you to speak or visit with them and there is an order in place, he could be in violation. You want to respond to the allegations in the papers which you were served with one by one and stated any objections which you have, that should be considered by the Judge, in the decision. At this time, you need to clearly have custody and/or visitation ordered if it is not in place at this time, seeing how you reside out of State and the situation is getting complicated. Here is also a link with forms that you can use, if the matter is being heard in a Colorado court.,

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is this something I can do on my own or do I have to retain a Colorado attorney.

You can represent yourself and you do not need to be represented by counsel. Of course, you will need to appear to present your argument and object to his motion, when a court date is set.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for your help, just one more question. How do I respond to this without an attorney? do I just call his attorney?

No, it needs to be responded to, in writing. You need to read the papers you were served with and respond to them number by number to as to the allegations and requests made. You will need to file your response with the clerk of court and mail a copy to his attorney and any other party.
FamilyAnswer and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you