How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married for 9 years. My husband has 2 boys one

This answer was rated:

I have been married for 9 years. My husband has 2 boys one is 36, married with 2 children and takes care of himself and his family. The other boy is n0w 34, he lived with us for the 1st 7 years of our marriage, he did not pay for anything, was constantly overdrawn, when he got the notices he threw them away and said he paid them, which we always covered, he was arrested for hot checks, has diabetes and is on an insulin , pump, he drank for years and was in and out of ER so many times I could not even count. He did have a pt job for awhile while he lived with us. He moved out for 1 year and about drank himself to death, we found out in that year he only paid rent 1 month the whole time, we paid it all to the landlord. His grandparents then bought him a mobile home and he works for them and my husband and his parents on our farm and ranch. Thy pay all of his bills and give him a salary. They said they were afraid he would not pay the bills so they do it. About 11 months ago he moved a girl in to the mobile home with 2 children ages 2 and 5 without asking anyone after he had known her for ashort time. they immediately planned on having a child , 4 months later he kicked her out because she turned out to be to be nuts with a horrible temper. Now they have a 2 month old baby. The mother did not even give the boy my stepsons last name. His grandparents filed a paternity suit.
We are waiting to hear about that. All of this has caused a huge problem with our marriage.. there have been many times when my husband has told me that if I did not like it here with the stepson and him.... I could just leave. So as long as we don't talk about the stepson, we get along fine.. but 2 days ago a saw a notarized copy of a settlement agreement between the stepson and the mother of the child. It stated times of supervised visits with the stepson and baby and said during the visits "Either the paternal grandfather or the step grandmother (ME) shall be present this parenting time. " I was not asked if I would agree to this and I do not want to do it. I asked my husband to have my name removed and he was furious and told me that if I messed up this parenting mediation our marriage was over. Do I have a legal right do be present during these visits since I did not sign anything or consent to do so? Thank you


Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

I understand you were concerned that the agreement would require you to supervise visitation. Is this correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for clarifying my understanding. I certainly understand your concern in this situation.

Fortunately a mediation agreement that you do not sign, cannot bind you.

Additionally, a court order requiring a parent to have supervised visitation typically is a requirement for the parent and not the authorized supervising party. Thus a requirement stating "Either the paternal grandfather or the step grandmother (ME) shall be present this parenting time" would typically be interpreted to mean that the father would not be entitled to parenting time unless you or your husband agreed to be present during that specific parenting time.

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX arrange to be gone during the times of visitation. Is there anyway I can have my named removed from this document, since I a was not even asked if I would be involved with the parenting visits?

Yes - you can inform the court that you are not willing to supervise the parenting visits. That said, typically the document would not require you to supervise but would give you the option if requested by the son
Ellen and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

How are things going? Is there anything else I can help you with?