How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28071
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Moving out of state

This answer was rated:

I got verbal consent from my son's father prior to making the decision to move out of state. Now, several months later ( and all the plans in place- work, renting my home out, etc). He said he changed his mind. He told this first to my 11 year old son- who told me. Then, to me when i asked about it.
What should I do? I have full physical and we share joint legal custody. I have been the custodial parent my son's whole life.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Based on the facts that you stated, you would need to proceed to court as soon as possible and obtain permission by the Judge, to relocate out of State. The Judge is going to base that decision on the best interest of the child. Moreover, if the father previously agreed to allow it and you relied on that promise, the Judge is going to take that into consideration as well. If you were to just leave the State without permission, the father could go back to court and ask that you be held in contempt, for violating his parental right and leaving the State, without permission. In an ideal situation, you would have reduced the agreement to writing when it was first made, or in the alternative, he would work with you now to agree on terms and conditions, which will still allow him time with the child, during the summer and other breaks, when the child is out of school, like you mentioned above. If you were to just leave with your son, he could lie to the court and try to get you in trouble, which is why you should have the relocation court ordered.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you