How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask stevexo Your Own Question
stevexo, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1000
Experience:  30 years helping those with Family legal needs
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
stevexo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son need to have supervised visit for him and child and

This answer was rated:

my son need to have supervised visit for him and child and he just cant afford the one here and really wants to see son. Is there a place that will work on income or low cost. They won't let grandma or another person until 3 months. Please help.
31 years of family law litigation. Understanding of your concerns,and a good legal knowledge base.Hi glad to help aid your Son in seeing his child,as he has a right to do so. Could you please explain to me what you mean by:"he cannot afford the one here"? And who has stated that you are the only person that can supervise? By Kid Safe do you mean a county program that supervises the visitation? Thanks,Steve
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The mother said that she wants a therapist to supervise for 3 months because she thinks that I would not be a good superviser. My son was using drugs sleeping bills and was arrest for use. He has been clean and has token 2 drug test and failed them about 5 months ago but for the last 3 months has been clean. He just wants to see son but he only has about 20.00 left after all bills paid and he wants to see son.

The Mothers wishes generally do not control. Tell me is there currently a court order in effect that states the visitation must be supervised, and if so, who does it state must supervise? Also what is the custody arrangement as per the final order of divorce? Is it 50-50, or joint, or does she have custody subject to the Son's visitation. Sorry to ask so many questions, but I need this info to give you an expert opinion. Thanks,Steve
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They are not married. the court order says a 3 month visitation with 3 party a(therapist) and then if the mother agrees after interview our deacon of church 3 months with them. She has to much control and our lawyer said that because of my son arrest for the pills and a DWI that he has to go by this. Our lawyer said it is joint custody but the mom says it is that she has full custody. We go back in 6 months in front of the judge. We didn't even get to speak at all because judge gave us 10 minutes and her lawyer went to the judge 2 weeks before court date that we didn't know and told the judge about the DWI. When we got time to talk the judge said he made up his mind from previsous conversation by her lawyer and that is not right. We are stuck and don't know what to do. Our lawyer is just going by what her lawyer says.

Well then get a new Attorney, that does not listen to the other side. Your legal remedy is to file a motion to modify visitation. This visitation must make sure that the person there, is not adverse to your Son or his interests. Make a motion where both parties must agree to the therapist, and if cannot agree then it goes to mediation to settle it. I also would put an end to her being able on her own to choose the deacon of the church after the first 3 months.Firstly I believe they would not be a neutral party, and most importantly they are not the type of professional that is qualified to be making any of these decisions, and is perhaps the worst person to be doing so. Stay away from religious decisions as being the answer, as most times the advice is not in the best interest of the child, nor does it conform to the law .And if this is sole custody by the Mom, something is very wrong, as your Son has done nothing that should not allow him to have joint custody. Sincerely, Steve
stevexo and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Steve but still looking for a place that my son can see his child. He don't have the money for a new lawyer already took loan for this one. He is going crazy for not see son what can we do. Do you have to have a lawyer to go back to court.