How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I came here on a k1 visa.i am a permanent marriage

This answer was rated:

I came here on a k1 visa.i am a permanent marriage is failing.if I get a divorce how will that affect my status.thank you
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me:

1) How long have you been married?
2) Did you file the I-130/I-485 package once you were married to adjust to your greencard?
3) And if you did, at the end of two years, did you file the I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence) to make your greencard permanent?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been married for 7 years.yes to both questions

Thank you, friend.

Assuming you filed your I-751 and it was approved (and it seems that it was), then your greencard which was conditional for two years has been made permanent.

In other words:

1) You marry;
2) You file the I-130/I-485 to get a conditional greencard; and then
3) You file the I-751 to extend that greencard and make it permanent after two years of marriage.

Since you have done so, your greencard is now permanent. Your divorce should have no effect on your greencard status at all. You are for all intents and purposes now a greencard holder and your divorce shall not invalidate or modify that in any way.

Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you