How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27232
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi...i got served papers for a civil matter in superior

This answer was rated:

hi...i got served papers for a civil matter in superior question do you have to pay and file response to complaint even if it is completely bogus case? can you just show up to court hearing or do you ALWAYS have to pay court fees when being sued?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Yes, you do have to file a response, even if the claim is completely bogus. The reason why is because if you do not file a response within 30 days after you were served, the plaintiff can file a form called "Request for Default," which means you have defaulted and can no longer respond to the lawsuit to defend yourself. After a default is entered the plaintiff can ask the court to enter a default judgment against you. The plaintiff can prove his or her case without you disputing what he or she says, and can win up to the amount that he or she asked for in the lawsuit against you. You need to file your answer and any affirmative defenses which you may have. If you cannot afford the filing fees, you can ask the court for a fee waiver. If you prevail in the case, you can ask to be awarded the fees for defending it, as well.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you...can you get public defender in civil suit? or does that only apply in criminal matters?

You are welcome. A public defender is only appointed for criminal cases, not civil lawsuit. You can try and contact your local legal aid office and see if they will take the case or assist you in some way, in the defense of it.
FamilyAnswer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions